Friday, July 1, 2011

Raw fooding



I started eating mostly raw foods about three weeks ago, and I'm starting to notice health benefits! I wasn't really counting on this happening; I just wanted to feel good about what I was eating.


1. I am more hydrated. I am peeing clearer and much more often.

2. I am breathing easier. For at least a year, I've often been unable to catch my breath once or twice a day. This would happen at random times, when I was just sitting around, not related to exercising. Now it seems to be totally gone.

3. My mouth/tongue are cleaner. I don't get a bad taste in my mouth, which used to often happen to me after eating, especially when I ate dairy and chocolate.
(Also, Nate is experiencing the same thing. He has told me that he, who has always been very adamant about frequent and thorough teeth-brushing, barely sees the need to brush his teeth anymore.)



Update: some health concerns I have since "going raw":

1. I am losing weight

2. My back teeth have been sporadically very sensitive to cold (but this could be because of a recent injury).


Ingredients:

Carrots
Collard greens
Mushrooms
An onion
Celery
Cucumber
Olive oil (cold pressed--it's not raw otherwise)
Sesame oil (don't know if this is raw)
Fig-infused vinegar (or other interesting sounding vinegar)
Ginger root
Garlic clove
Lime

Directions:

First, make the marinade:
Combine olive oil, vinegar, and sesame oil. Sweet lime juice in to mixture. Mince garlic and ginger. Add to mixture.

Then, chop (washed) carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms, onion, and celery into sticks (or something like sticks). Sometime before these are all chopped, immerse the chopped mushrooms into the marinade. Leave them in there for about 10 minutes.

Then, cut the collard greens on either side of the stem so you just have the soft leaf part. This will make each leaf into two thin, spineless leaves. Eat the stems.

Remove the mushrooms from the marinade. Lay out the collard leaves. Add about a couple sticks of each vegetable to the middle of a leaf. Roll the leaf around the vegetables so it holds them. Put a toothpick through the roll so it stays together. Continue until all the vegetables are used.

Serve with the marinade for dipping.


Marinade





I had extra vegetables, so I chopped them into squares and ate them as a salad

No comments:

Post a Comment