Thursday, January 2, 2014

My 9 Resolutions for 2014



Happy new year!

It's 2014 and I might start blogging again. I wasn't really thinking much of the change of year, partly because it seems like an arbitrary way humans measure time and not an actual event, and partly because thinking about it didn't really occur to me, but then yesterday I got asked, "So, do you have any new year's resolutions?" enough times to prompt me to start thinking about it. And it turns out that I like looking at my life and setting goals, so now I'm making a full-blown list of new year's resolutions! Here it goes.

1. Get back into taking pictures.
I used to take tons of pictures of everyday life, but then my camera became much less usable (semi-broke?) and I stopped carrying it with me, so now the only photos I take are with Eric's smart phone. I was thinking about it today and I feel like not taking photos regularly makes me feel like my experience of the world is... less. I'm not sure how to describe this, but it's kind of like I feel like I'm experiencing the world more passively, or like my view of my life was amplified by taking photos (and then having the photos later), and now it's just back to regular amplification, which is not as much. Also, it's a form of artistic expression for me, and I like having an ongoing creative project.


2. Floss.


3. Volunteer at those cool sounding places that I was meaning to volunteer at.
When I moved to Boston, I had all these ideas about getting involved in different communities and projects and nonprofits, but I wanted to wait until I got a job because I wanted my schedule to be open for work, and then I guess by the time I got a job I sort of got distracted... for like ten or eleven months. Some of the volunteer-type things I want to do are:
   -Teach a crafting class at Rosie's Place
   -Teach a creative writing workshop at 826 Boston, or even just volunteer as a tutor.
   -Lead a workshop with The Greater Boston Free School Network. Also possibly volunteer to update their website content because it looks like it hasn't been touched since the summer.


4. Be friendly.



5. Do things that are out of my comfort zone!
I was reminded of the fact that this is important to me recently because I solidified my trip to Uganda for this spring and I started feeling nervous about it because it can be dangerous, and I'm going to be away from my regular life for a month and a half, and I don't know what I'm going to end up doing while I'm there, and I'm expecting to miss Eric a lot, and I have to get shots and stuff beforehand, and get a visa, etc. And I don't know anyone there except my sister, and it's a culture I'm completely unfamiliar with. So when I started feeling fear about this trip, I was like, "Hey, I'm fulfilling my goal of getting out of my comfort zone!" So I'm off to a good start. :)

This is hanging on the wall of my bedroom.


6. Do laundry sometimes.
I did a great job of sometimes doing laundry in 2013, and I'm hoping to run wild with my sometimes-laundry streak in 2014!


7. Make things and think of good things to do with the things I make.
I really like making crafts, especially out of repurposed materials, and I usually give them as gifts and sometimes use them for parties I'm hosting. I'd like to come up with other things to do with crafts I make, though. I'm really at the early stages of brainstorming on this one. Some possibilities:
   -Sell them. (Etsy? A local art shop? This blog? Would there be copyright issues because I use magazine clippings?)
   -Sell them to raise money for things I think are important.
   -Other ideas


8. Plan fun things.
I like themes! I like having parties! Why not plan things that I like to do and ask people I like to do them with me? Some ideas:
   -Go to the movies in pajamas. Okay this one sounds like I'm writing a post called, "12 Fun Things To Do as a Family This Year," but whatever, I want to go to the movies in my pajamas with Eric in his pajamas. It's great because I don't even wear pajamas to bed; I sleep naked.
   -Themed parties! Whatever theme I want; it doesn't have to be relevant! Maybe a "moon-themed" craft party? The crafts don't have to be related to moons. But maybe I'll make a moon pinata and we can have some sort of "moon cake?" I don't know; I don't know how to make cake. Sometimes I hear of really cool sounding parties that I can't make it to, because maybe I'm busy or maybe I'm not invited, and I'm like, "Man, I wish I could go to a pie party!" (this is a real example and I was later told that a party I had recently been to was a pie party, which explains why there were so many pies there), but it's starting to occur to me that I can just have whatever kind of awesome-sounding parties I want. So I'm going to. Some party ideas:
       >Fabulous brunch. I recently saw photos on the internet of a complete stranger's "queer fashion brunch" and was super jealous. Then I was like, "Maybe I should have a queer fashion brunch!" and then I was like, "But I want to invite my straight friends :(" So how about a fabulous brunch where everyone has to dress fabulously? And maybe it can be queer "themed." Like we can read a queer short story or watch a queer movie or something. Or dress up as queer celebrities?! Yeah, this is a great idea.
       >Puppy themed movie and comfort food party. This is a nighttime party. I'll have to make sure it's on a day when Teddy will be home, so there will be a real dog. But we can watch movies with dogs as main characters, eat Field Roast hot dogs, wear furry clothes, watch puppy videos on Youtube, look at my two books of puppy photos, etc.

Okay, I only have two months before I leave the country for a while so I think that's enough party ideas for now.


9. Go to 30 yoga classes in two months.
I just bought a $20 Groupon for 30 yoga classes in the Boston area. I've only done yoga a few times, but I always like it when I do it. I bet Eric that I would go to all 30 classes before Uganda and if (when) I win, he has to buy me dinner. He suggested that if I win, he'd have to go to Uganda with me, but I thought that was too high of stakes, so I suggested that he would have to buy me dinner, and I think we both thought that was a better idea.




I'm excited to start on these resolutions! I decided that I would start on at least one by the end of today. I think I'm going to email some nonprofits about volunteering.

Did you make any resolutions this year? I want to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment