Monday, August 9, 2010

Secondhand stuff: What's good about it, where to get it

When I decided to downsize my possessions about a year ago, I got rid of lots of things that could probably be useful. I had acquired most of these potentially useful items for free, picking them up with the intention to be made into something, used in my nowhere-in-sight future apartment, or given to someone who could use them. But after becoming frustratingly bogged down by my excessive possessions, I decided that I would probably be able to find these things for free again when their purpose arose, and if I had to do without them for a time, I could probably manage.

Free stuff is really easy to come by. I see free furniture in fine condition on the side of the road daily. It makes buying these things new seem a little unreasonable. Of course, when you go to a firsthand store, you have a better selection and you might have to do less work (lifting, finding a truck to use, potentially refinishing), but is it really worth it? It is understandable to put effort into having a clean, safe, comfortable living space, but style might be worth compromising for the advantage of both the environment (there are already more than enough couches/tables/lamps/TVs/beds/dishes/etc. out there already, why use resources to make more?) and your bank account. Plus, visually challenging items can spark creativity to make them work with your taste.

 



Alternatives to buying new:

     -Grassroots nonprofit dedicated to reusing and keeping good stuff out of landfills
     -Sign up (for free) with your local Freecycle branch to get and give free stuff

2. Craigslist (free and otherwise)
     -You can use Craigslist without even having to sign up
     -On the Craigslist home page, click "free" under the "for sale" category
     -Also a good place to find out about yard sales--click "garage sale" under the "for sale" category

3. Yard sales
     -Yard sales are good for recycling, building community, and spending time outside
     -If you go to yard sales near the end, lots of times people just want to get rid of everything so they'll give stuff to you for free or cheap

4. Thrift stores
     -Good for recycling and getting bargains, but not free stuff, and not usually as cheap as yard sales
     -Good for finding fabric. Sheets usually cost a couple of dollars and provide a lot of fabric
     -Often money goes to charity or church

5. Consignment stores
     -Good for recycling and getting bargains, but not usually as cheap as thrift stores
     -Some consignment stores are very designer brand oriented, so they're not as cheap

6. Swaps
     -Some organizations (colleges, churches, etc.) organize swaps, especially clothing swaps
     -If you can't find one, organize one! Even if it's just a few friends.
    
7. The side of the street
     -Good for finding free stuff!



Some of my recent free finds:


A side table found on the streets of Quincy, which I think I'll paint; a picnic basket found on the streets of Easton




A large vase found on the streets of Easton; a candle holder found with the vase



Pillows found on the streets of Stoughton; a ton of curtain rods found next to the metal/furniture dumpster at Eastern Nazarene College in Quincy. I have also found book ends, paper organizer things, futons, office chairs, comfy chairs, and lots of other things next to/in that dumpster.


I also get all of the beads I use in my jewelry for free, mostly at the ends of yard sales. Don't spend money on stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I think you could write a book (and print it on reused fabric or paper).

    ReplyDelete